When we were down in Patagonia last fall we met a guy who had just mountain biked down it and said that there had been a new, safer highway built and that now it was only mountain bike traffic on this road, and that is was amazing. Well, its all history from there. My mother will never send me another e-mail regarding anything remotely risky!
We went with Madness Bolivia, who did a great job. You drive an hour outside of La Paz to La Cumbre which is at 15,400ft and bike about 40 miles down to Coroico 5,200ft. On a crazy, windy, cliff-side, rocky, dirt road. But there weren't any cars. So it was cool, and beautiful. I didn't bring my camera because I didn't want to break it when I fell to my death, but the company takes pictures and gives you a CD, so these are their beauties.
Getting ready to start at La Cumbre
The very first part is on a real road
...and then it's not a real road
Matt, Ash & Steven were speedy and had a great time! I was a scaredy-cat and....was scared. But it was a good experience, and I'm glad a did it. Its good to conquer your fears right?
Conquering my fears
Almost at the bottom
Once we got to the bottom they had a buffet lunch for us and we had a few hours to hang out pool-side at a hotel before heading back to La Paz.
I actually enjoyed La Paz, which is not something I expected from the capitol of one of the poorest countries in South America. It's surrounded by a lot of beautiful mountains, is decently clean, and is lively. There's still a lot going on at 10 at night and I felt safe walking around at that time a night. There were lots of great markets with amazing fresh fruit, jewelry, hats, etc. Our hostel was awesome and if you are ever in La Paz I definitely recommend staying at Adventure Brew. And get the dinner they serve.
....last post of the trip is Huayna Potosi, our 20,000ft adventure. Coming soon.
Absolutely right -- no more death-defying photos and information sent to you! I should add, it was actually your Uncle David who originally sent me that email with photos I forwarded to you. I'll make him pay! But I must admit it looks like a terrific trip, though I'd want to take it slowly like you did. :-)
ReplyDelete